Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Ho Hey


At first I had a lot of trouble finding a song. Then, I finally decided on Ho Hey by The Lumineers. In reading the lyrics, it seems like its a song about love. It says "I don't think you're right for him" which implies that his girlfriend is with someone else and he may not be over it yet. When I went to watch the music video, it seemed completely different. It seemed to be more cheery. It followed the band singing and playing the song in what looks like an old house. There are string light bulbs around flickering to the music and the singing. There are people all dressed the same and they dance and cheer to the song at the end of the video. However, I noticed hints of things that could relate to the lyrics. I saw that there were all of these wilted flowers hanging from the ceiling at one point in the video. This could possibly be showing a love that was once there but is now gone, or wilted. The video also included a clip of someone stepping on a light bulb. This could show either anger towards their significant other for leaving them, or it could be them breaking the ties and forgetting about them. I also analyzed a Bing commercial that had the song in it. It included clips of a man travelling around the world and meeting people. He was sharing his experiences with his friends and making new friends. Then, the song struck me as kind of about travelling. With lines like “so show me family, all the blood that I will bleed,” it seemed like the song was more about life and good experiences. It still had the sense of love in it though, but the love was more about the love for life and for the people you meet and your family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment